Saturday, March 28, 2015

Faith Not Fear Part 2

Here's the post you've all been waiting for. I said I was going to explain how I settled on this title for my blog...here it is! It is not the story of how I became a believer. It is simply the explanation of how this space got its title. It's not perfect, but here it is...

It all started with a problem I had with a friend about a year ago. We worked to forgive each other but we both ended up going our separate ways. During this escapade, my preacher talked about pruning and how necessary it is for us. We don't always understand why it needs to be done or see how it will be for our benefit, but we have to trust that God knows better than we do and that He is going to work things out for our good. It was also at this time that Hillsong's "Oceans" came out and it seemed to be on the radio every time I turned it on. One day it sank in: God is testing my faith and encouraging me to trust him.

As time went on, three themes began to emerge and I realized God was teaching me something that was going to play an important role in my life. The first area was contentment and you can read some of my thoughts on it here. God turned my little world upside down with a bunch of little things in my personal life that didn't go my way and my type-A personality did not approve.

From there He showed me my lack of respect for others and how it stemmed from trust issues. Some issues were brought on by big, traumatic events that took place years ago and some were miscommunications that should not have been a big deal. The bottom line was that I had some things to sort through and I knew I had to approach them with my faith at the forefront, fighting my battles, and allowing God to take the reins on things I couldn't control on my own.

About this time, the word, fear kept appearing in my quiet time and in some blog posts. It really began to sink in and I realized the full circle the Lord had brought me when I came across the verse in 1 John 4:18 that says, "There is no fear in love but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."
This link will take you to my Pinterest board that that contains some of the blog posts I kept handy while going through all of this.

With all of that said, I am not a star-student at any of these things. But if the Lord found it necessary to spend a year showing me these areas of my life that needed work, then I figure I better straighten up, start listening, and obey.

Phew! I'm not keen on sharing personal things so this post is not easy for me to write, but it's a necessary one. God has put this little space on my heart to stretch me and to continue to deepen my faith. I want to encourage all of you to do whatever it is that God has put on your heart. No matter what it is, I hope you will step out in faith and trust His plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment